Header

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Review: Blue Moon (The Immortals, Book 2)

(This is long overdue!)



Genre: Fiction, Young Adult, Paranormal Romance
Edition: Softcover
Page Count: 284
Pub. Date: July 7th, 2009
Series: The Immortals, Book 2

My Rating: 3 stars (out of 5)
Amazon.com: 3.5 stars
Goodreads: 3.85 (Average)

Recommended For: Teens, Fans of Paranormal Romance novels, Those tired of vampires and/or werewolves who like a fresh outlook on a different type of supernatural mythology.

Book Summary (back of the book):

Just as Ever is learning everything she can about her new abilities as an immortal, initiated into the dark, seductive world by her beloved Damen, something terrible is happening to him. As Ever's powers increase, Damen's begin to fade after he is stricken by a mysterious illness that threatens his memory, his identity, his life.

Desperate to save him, Ever travels to the mystical dimension of Summerland, where she uncovers not only the secrets of Damen's past - the brutal, tortured history he hoped to keep hidden - but also an ancient text revealing the workings of time. With the approaching blue moon heralding her only window for travel, Ever is forced to decide between turning back the clock and saving her family from the accident that claimed them - or staying in the present and saving Damen, who grows weaker by the day.


My Thoughts:

(Forewarning: this review may come off more negative than I intended. But believe me, I did actually enjoy it, haha)

I've spent the past few days trying to write a review for Blue Moon. And every time my hands hit the keyboard I find myself critiquing the things I didn't like, versus praising the things that I did. Basically, the issues I have with Blue Moon are fairly similar to the ones I had with Evermore.

The aspects that I most enjoy about this series is the whole mythology of it - immortal powers, living forever, Summerland, etc. It's really quite fresh and intriguing. But I am having a difficult time becoming emotionally invested in the characters.

Book 2 basically leaves Ever to her own devices, which was a nice change of pace. We got to see her move and act on impulse and that gave her a whole new sense of independence. But what it didn't give her was maturity. Ever still manages to make hasty and boneheaded decisions that ultimately hurt her and the people she loves. I'm trying to rationalize that behavior with her age and naivety, but my brain won't allow it. And in result, it gives the story the feel of going in circles. It felt like too many steps toward progress, only to be forced to go back to square one. Again.

In a more superficial regard, the lack of Damen was rather depressing. I believe he gives the story that sense of maturity that is missing with Ever. He keeps her grounded, I guess you could say. And the lack of his suave 600 year old self was a bit of a downer.

The ending wasn't quite what I expected (was I the only one reminded of the show Dark Angel?) and it left me shaking my head in disbelief. It was one heck of a cliffhanger I will admit, but it didn't quite provoke a response in me for such a crazy situation. (Maybe it was the writing, maybe it was the late hour...who knows.)

HOWEVER, nitpicking aside, as a whole I was much more engrossed with the sequel than its predecessor. I figured out the ruse early on but it did little to take away from the suspense and uncertainty I felt while reading. I was much more interested in the outcome.

I enjoyed the glimpse into Damen's past as well as the little pieces of Ever's previous lives. I was also excited to get a better in-depth look into Summerland. That is one of my curiosities that wasn't quite satisfied from the first book. (And I'm loving the idea of it more and more)

The addition of Rayne and Romy was another interesting aspect. At the beginning I had no idea what their purpose was, apart from being a bit creepy, but I enjoyed their presence in the book. I wouldn't mind delving more into their characters and storyline.

Overall consensus: To me, Blue Moon was just "Ok". I felt it lacked a finale to really seal the deal.

Don't forget to check out my review for Evermore - Book 1 in The Immortals series!

(Have YOU read Blue Moon? Feel free to leave a comment, I'm always open to discuss a book!)

6 comments:

Tales of Whimsy said...

I love & value honest reviews ;)

Caitlin said...

I just finished Evermore over the weekend, and it seems like we have the same issues. Mostly mine were with Ever and how immature she is. It's hard to read YA books as an adult when the characters are written that way. Like you said, I try to remember her age but it just doesn't work. At least it's that way for me!

I'm going to continue reading though, so I also want to find out what happens next.

Unknown said...

I still haven't read Evermore even though it has been on my TBR pile for ages. I really like the sound of the premise but it sounds like I may experience a few character issues.

Nikki @ Bookizzle said...

@JuJu - You and me both! Thanks for the comment JuJu. :)

accessories motocross said...

It's really a very nice. Thanks.........

Unknown said...

I loved Evermore and Blue Moon was good as well but it did lack a little spunk that the first one gave me the ending threw me a little. I'm hoping though Shadowland is a little better and makes that kindof ending worth it.

Here is my Review!

Post a Comment