Header

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Review: Fat Cat by Robin Brande

Fat Cat


Genre: Fiction, Young Adult, Contemporary
Edition: Hardcover; Library
Page Count: 327
Pub. Date: October 13, 2009
Series: N/A

Reading Challenge: Young Adult, Local Library

My Rating: 4.5 stars (out of 5)
Amazon.com: 5 stars
Goodreads: 4.11 (Average)

Recommended For: Young and old, tall and short, plump and skinny...basically, everyone.

Book Summary:

You are what you eat...

Cat smart, sassy, and funny — but thin, she’s not. Until her class science project. That’s when she winds up doing an experiment on herself. Before she knows it, Cat is living and eating like the hominids, our earliest human ancestors. True, no chips or TV is a bummer and no car is a pain, but healthful eating and walking everywhere do have their benefits.

As the pounds drop off, the guys pile on. All this new found male attention is enough to drive a girl crazy! If only she weren’t too busy hating Matt McKinney to notice...


My Thoughts:

There are so many great things I could say about this novel! In short, I loved it. Fat Cat is a rich tale combining morals, science, humor, and romance that mixes together to form an immensely enjoyable read. It provides laughter in all the right places and gives the brain some much needed food for thought. While the title suggests that the main focus will be on the "fat girl" and weight issues, it is so much more than that. It's also about friendship, loving people for who they are on the inside, and just being true to yourself.

I loved reading Cat's daily notes as she keeps track of her progress not only for her research project, but for herself. Cat's determination and transition as a character is inspiring. The constant bit of humor, provided by both Cat and friends, is a refreshing aspect that keeps the novel light, all while focusing on some real and important issues. Cat's voice and the secondary characters (her family, best friend, and romantic interest) really drive the book to a new level of authenticity.

On a more personal note, Fat Cat really got me thinking about the kind of food I've been including in my diet and the changes that need to be made (and have been made). It's very rare when a book makes such an impact on me long after I read it. But this novel made an impression not only as a quality read, but in my life as well.

Overall consensus: Fat Cat is a sweetly rich book in all the right ways. It's as real as you can get in contemporary fiction. I felt like I knew the characters, that I could relate to them in many different ways, and that just fueled my enjoyment as a reader. It's refreshing to read about a young female protagonist who enjoys science and things considered "uncool". And what truly makes this book shine is the quality and honesty with which it is written. I have a feeling it'll be a novel I will long remember and recommend to anyone of all shapes and sizes. A book worthy of seconds! ;)

3 comments:

ninefly said...

I adore the premise of this story, if only because we finally have a teen character who LIKES school/science/math that I can relate to lol
thank you for the review, I'm even more encouraged to seek this out as soon as I can now =)

Tales of Whimsy said...

I REALLY want to read this one :) Great review.

Unknown said...

Sounds like this book has a really subtle message which is told in a fun way. Great review!

Post a Comment