Suggested by Jennysbooks:
Something I’ve been thinking about lately: “What words/phrases in a blurb make a book irresistible? What words/phrases will make you put the book back down immediately?”
Words/phrases that will make an instant grab:
- Sci-Fi (I'm a nerd at heart, what can I say)
- Love Story (some of the time, anyway)
- Couldn't put it down
- Politics/political thrillers
- Erotica (or other words such as, sensual, etc. But the cover is usually a dead giveaway)
- Anything involving overly grotesque murders (especially children and/or animals) *shudders*
- Spiritual journey (Granted, I don't mind the occasional spiritual book, but I find myself more annoyed with other people's perception of religion *shrugs*)
- When the blurb gives away the plot/story (HATEHATEHATE)
- True story/Non-fiction
But honestly, blurbs can be fairly misleading. Even if the blurb completely grabs my attention, I'll go home and look up reviews and ratings to see what other readers are saying. If the majority love it, I'll put it in my TBR pile. But then again I've been know to give anything a shot as long as it had enough to pique my interest. However, that doesn't mean I'll finish it. I guess it ultimately depends on my mood and what type of genre I'm looking for. Oh, and the cover. Yes I'm one of those people. I just won't read a book if the cover is hideous.
(I'll probably keep adding to this the more I have a chance to dwell on it)
Thoughts? Opinions? Also, feel free to link me to your BTT post if you have one!